Urbanham.com was created and launched in 1999 by Russell McClinton as an online event calendar designed with the intent of informing Greater Birmingham’s African American community of events taking place in the area. Shortly after launching, Urbanham.com grew in users and became a regular bookmark for those that sought information on Birmingham’s social and community activities. In addition to providing information on events, Urbanham.com took on the role of uplifting and supporting Greater Birmingham’s creative, urban professional and grassroots communities. Musicians, singers, poets, dancers, artist, inspirational teenagers, community leaders and promising business owners represent the list of individuals that have been featured on the pages of Urbanham.com.
While many media outlets have come and gone we believe our longevity comes from our faith in God, our ability to get the job done and a continued commitment to honor the following:
- Promoting those that strive for excellence and growth.
- Educating those that may not know.
- Giving back to the community in which we work, live and play.
As we approach the 10 Year Anniversary of Urbanham.com we would like to give a special thanks to all of the users, sponsors and affiliates that have supported us over the past decade. We promise to continue to serve you through great commentary, positive reflections and of course the most visited and trusted online calendar serving Greater Birmingham’s urban community.
- Urbanham.com was the first urban interest website delivering events and information in the Greater Birmingham area. Launched in June of 1999.
- The first Urbanham.com Fashion Show was coordinated by Anitra Chestnut at the newly opened Platinum of Birmingham in 2000. It is reported that there were well over 1,200 people in attendance during the Sunday night show.
- Urbanham.com has held an annual fashion show every year missing only one year since 2000.
- The Urbanham.com photo gallery contains over 25,000 images and continues to grow.
- Urbanham.com sponsored a youth Teen television program titled the SHOW which gave teens an opportunity to create, produce and distribute thier own talk show. The show aired on UPN 68.
- The Urbanham.com brand is currently maintained, owned and operated by Media.Broadcast.Internet (MBI, LLC), a subsidiary of Digital Arts Inc.
- Urbanham.com celebrated it’s 10 Year Anniversary in June of 2009.
- Urbanham.com receives more online traffic than popular urban radio stations in the Birmingham Market.
Make sure you bookmark Urbanham.com in your web browser and also join the Urbanham.com Facebook Page to stay connected to great events, local urban news and information and giveaways!